CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Gearing Up for Halloween

We just finished with Red Ribbon week at our school.  Each day had a theme, which while fun, was also a little crazy as I was trying to get assessments done for the end of the marking period.  Monday was red ribbon day, Tuesday was Team Spirit-wear a jersey or workout clothes (comfie day), Wednesday was House team spirit day(red for my class as we are the Terrapins and Thursday was Pajama Day ( did I say comfie?!!). Friday was Crazy Hair Day: We are crazy for Drug Awareness.  Tried to tell the kiddos that the hair was the only thing crazy that day but didn't quite work.  Very high levels of energy.  Here is my take on the day:
I added real candy corn to bobbie pins with glue dots.  I wore my candy corn earrings and lanyard along with an orange sweater and halloween socks. 
     Now to get ready for tomorrow: Halloween.  My principal has always advocated "Fall" themed activities so we hold a Harvest Activity Day.  It's not really a party as much as a rotation of fun- yet academically connected- activities.  We have it in the afternoon until dismissal and it has been a hit for years.  Adding new activities this year thanks to Pinterest.  Some of our activities will include: -painting indian corn patterns with q-tips ( pointillism idea from Kindergarten Crayons site)
- toilet paper roll pumpkins (Family Fun site idea)
-scarecrow hands(popcorn in a glove)
-decorate a cookie to look like a scarecrow ( Family Fun site again)
- patterning necklace with pony beads
-graphing ghost marshmallows
- Monster Munch mix( snack items renamed to be scary and kids count in sets of 10)
- Paper bag scarecrows (Pinterest)
- Apple Dice game- I use a pattern of an apple and blow it up to full paper size.  Then I draw lines to look like a puzzle.  Inside the sections I write the numbers 2-12.  Students roll 2 dice and color in one section that matches that number.  I created this a long time ago with a wonderful co-worker: Cathy Harper.  We used to make dice puzzles, as we call them, for every unit.
The lists are made, the supplies are almost prepped_ finishing that tomorrow, and a few volunteers are scheduled to help.  Hopefully the kids will be calm- that would so be a wonderful Treat for tomorrow.  Let's hope I don't get tricked there.
Have a great, fun, exciting, and hopefully calm Halloween.  I will post pictures of these activities as soon as possible.
Here's a treat for the kids: ( Pinterest)

Spooky S'mores

0 comments:

Post a Comment